Veteran Non-Resident Tuition Waiver
In 2014, Congress enacted legislation that provides for in-state tuition to certain veterans, spouses and dependents (hereafter referred to as ‘veteran students’), who ordinarily would not qualify as state residents for tuition purposes. Arkansas’ 90th General Assembly passed companion legislation in 2015. Accordingly, UAMS establishes the Veteran Non-Resident Tuition Waiver for the following purposes:
- To help defray rising educational costs for UAMS students who are veterans of the US military, or who are the children or spouse of a veteran, of the armed forces.
- Meet State of Arkansas and US policies requiring that no veterans or their families pay out-of-state tuition.
Veteran students who present documentation of their service in any of the branches of the armed forces and who are legal residents of other states will be granted a waiver of the out-of-state amount of tuition.
Students who are veterans must pay all the applicable fees for the course of study that they have chosen.
The veteran student’s resident status (state of legal residence) will not be affected and will be categorized as out-of-state (non-resident) for admissions and all other classification purposes.
- The veteran applicant must be accepted by, or enrolled in, a UAMS college or the Graduate School for the period for which he/she is applying for the tuition waiver.
- Been honorably discharged or released from at least 90 days of active service.
- Been honorably discharged less than three years before his/her date of enrollment in the applicable course/program.