Tuition Refund Policies
Students Withdrawing from UAMS – Non Financial Aid Recipients
The refund amount for students withdrawing from UAMS shall be based on the following schedule. The schedule applies to both tuition and fees paid.
Refund for Tuition and Fees Only
1-5 Class Days: 100%
6-10 Class Days: 50%
11th Class Day and after: 0%
Students Withdrawing from UAMS – Financial Aid Recipients
According to Federal Regulations, a Title IV Return of Funds calculation will be processed for those students who withdraw after receiving federal financial aid (Pell Grant, SEOG, subsidized Stafford Loan, unsubsidized Stafford Loan, parent PLUS loan or Perkins). The calculation is based on the number of days the student attended divided by the number of days in the term. The results of the calculation determine how much financial aid the student has earned. After 60% of the term has passed, the student is considered to have earned 100% of his/her aid. If the student has not earned 100% of his/her aid, the portion of the “unearned” aid is returned to the Title IV programs stated above. After the Return of Title IV financial aid calculation is processed, a student may owe a balance to UAMS. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements for payment of the balance with the Bursar’s Office.
Housing refunds for students who withdraw shall be subject to the rules established by Campus Life and Student Support Services.
Petition for a Refund of Tuition and Fees
Students who experience extraordinary extenuating circumstances during a term and who officially withdraw from UAMS after the refund period may submit a petition for a partial refund which, if approved, will be prorated according to the date of the official withdrawal.
Students who withdraw after the University’s official refund period will not receive a full (100%) refund by petitioning. Percentages for approved petitions are based on enrollment status. Examples:
- Enrolled 25% of the term – Receive 75% refund
- Enrolled 50% of the term – Receive 50% refund
- Enrolled 75% of the term – Receive 25% refund
For non-standard classes, the re fund will be calculated based on the percentages above.
Students who received federal, state or institutional financial aid, including loans or other scholarships for the semester in question, should contact the Financial Aid Office before submitting a petition. The Financial Aid staff will explain how a Title IV Return of Funds calculation may impact the student’s account balance in in GUS.
Conditions that could be considered for refunds but not limited to:
- Written verification from a recognized profession (physician) that the student must withdraw because of serious illness, injury or personal emergency of the student or a member of the immediate family.
- Death of an immediate family member.
- Written verification from an appropriate representative or publication of the University proving that the student was given misinformation as to the correct deadline for receiving a refund of tuition and fees.
- Other hardships or extraordinary circumstances that have arisen after the refund deadline.
(Definition of immediate family member: mother, father, brother, sister, child, spouse, domestic partner, grandparent, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, legal guardian or other person who stands in place of a parent.)
Reasons that will not result in an approval for receiving a refund of tuition and fees after the deadline but not limited to:
- Student’s lack of knowledge or misunderstanding of the deadline
- Student waited to get the results of an exam or other assignment
- Nonattendance of classes or failure to pay for classes does not constitute an official withdrawal
- Student’s grades have declined since the deadline
- Student does not need the course for graduation
Students should request the petition and provide supporting documentation to:
UAMS Student Financial Services – Bursar’s Office Slot 758
4301 West Markham
Little Rock, AR 72205
Or email: email@example.com
Continuing students will be notified of the review committee’s decision via UAMS email and students who are no longer enrolled will be notified via letter mailed to the address provided on the request. Notification of the request will be processed within 10 business days.
The deadline for submitting a petition refund (or reversal) and supporting documentation is 15 days after the end of each term. The appeals committee will consist of the Bursar’s Office, Office of the University Registrar and Associate Dean of the appropriate college. The Provost and the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance will attend when deemed necessary.