Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to a few commonly asked questions.  For additional FAQs – Click Here

What forms are needed to apply for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed each year. Students can submit their application electronically at

In addition, students will need to complete and return any forms or other requested documents.

I probably don’t qualify for aid. Why should I apply?

Many families mistakenly believe they don’t qualify for aid, preventing themselves from receiving aid for which they may be eligible simply because they fail to apply. In addition, there are sources of aid, such as Unsubsidized Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) and Graduate PLUS Loans for Graduate Students, available regardless of need. Completing the FAFSA is free and does not obligate the student or the parent in any way. There is no reason not to apply.

Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid?

Yes, admits/students can apply for financial aid at any time after October 1st. To be awarded and receive federal aid, students must be enrolled in a degree seeking program.

I sent in my FAFSA several weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything. What should I do?

Students who haven’t received a Student Aid Report (SAR) should call the Federal Processor at (319) 337-5665 or (800) 433-3243. Students can also check the status of their application online at If you do not receive a communication from our office within two weeks of completing your FASFA, please contact our office at (501) 686-5451.

How do I transfer my aid to UAMS?

Financial aid does not transfer from one school to another.  Each school must determine your eligibility for financial aid.  The first thing you should do is contact the other school and cancel your financial aid.  You will then need to submit your FAFSA to UAMS by entering the UAMS school code 001109 on the FAFSA.  You cannot receive a Federal Pell Grant on more than one campus per semester.  Additionally, there may be consequences for processing Federal Loans on multiple campuses.

What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized loan?

For both loans, the principal (the original amount a student borrows) is deferred until six months after the student graduates or stops attending school at least half-time. A Subsidized loan is one where the government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school. An unsubsidized loan is one where the student is responsible for paying the interest.

What is “loan counseling,” an “entrance interview” or “entrance counseling session?”

All of these terms refer to the same thing: loan counseling. The federal government requires all first-time student loan borrowers to participate in loan counseling prior to receiving a Federal Student Loan. During this online session, students will review basic facts about loans, managing their education expenses, and their rights/responsibilities as a student loan borrower.

Can I cancel my loan if I change my mind?

Yes, prior to receipt of funds students may cancel all or a portion of their loan by informing the Financial Aid Office in writing.

My application has been selected for verification, what does that mean?

The US Department of Education randomly selects FAFSA’s for a review process called “verification”. This means UAMS must compare the information from your FAFSA with financial documents that you must provide to our office. You will be required to submit a signed copy of your federal tax transcripts and verification worksheet. If you are a dependent student, you will also be required to submit a copy of your parent’s federal tax transcript. You may also be asked to submit other documents, such as proof of the amount of untaxed income you or your parents receive, or verification of the family’s assets.